Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Vision of the future: Diploma Delivery in 2013

Let me start with where we ended up: With three boards full of pink, fluorescent yellow and green post-it notes. We were then asked to "shop" for ideas and discuss what we thought of what other people had written. The most intelligent looking man in the room (elderly, grey haired, with headteacherish good looks) was asked where he thought the Diploma would be in 2013. He replied "Well, I don't know about the Diploma, but I know where I'll be. FISHING". And on that note...

Today's meeting (17th March, Tuesday) was marketed as a training session, but of course turned out not to be. What we need -perhaps they don't quite have the resources to fill this need -are training sessions on exactly what to expect, what to do, and so on. What we get however, is "consultants" delivering "sessions" in which we are expected to provide the answers. They, in effect, are facilitators. Cynicism aside, the session today (I was only able to attend the AM seminar) was very useful. Two ladies from the -something beginning with N - were the facilitators and one of the broad objectives was to come up with a list of ideals. Peculiarly enough, the process was quite an engaging one and enlightening in that: When you're forced to think of the future, a certain vision (whether it be a nightmarish or heavenly one) emerges. We had a number of group discussions, followed by what one of the ladies described as "furious flipchart writing". The first of these involved brainstorming (I think the politically correct word is "thought showering") on a vision for the future. The three subheadings we were provided with were:

-Learning
-Collaboration
-Decisions

Under Learning I wrote:
-The Diploma goes International. China and India sign up to UK Educational Model! (ya right)
-Students benefit from meaningful and targeted work experience
Others wrote things like: 40% of pupils doing the Diploma, well developed routes, Good teaching, Engaged Pupils, etc...

Under Collaboration I wrote:
-Good "Communication" (this was every one's favourite word today)
-Well established Employer Engagement
Others wrote:
-Good links developed with the Media
-SMT/SLT's on board with Line Lead
-Centres of Excellence
-Direct input from Universities
-Employers on the board for Consortia Diploma subject line

Under Decisions I didn't write anything. Others wrote things like:
-Communication with exam boards
-Central decisions
-steering groups

No one even saw my (admittedly stupid) comment on the Diploma going International. Thank God for that!

No comments: